Friday, June 19, 2015

Campground Hosting 101

We have been campground hosts now since the first of June and we are really liking it.  Our main "job" is to clean the rustic cabins when they become vacant.  There's not much to it.  The cabins are 13x13 with covered porches and they have bunk beds and futons with heavy vinyl covered mattresses; a table and chairs and a waste basket. They also have small refrigerators and an RV stove enclosed in a stainless steel cabinet.
Emigrant Springs rustic cabin
We clean the stoves and ovens if they've been used (not very often), wipe down the beds and furniture with a disinfectant spray, clean the windows and mirror with Windex and then spray air freshener inside.  We also check the fire pits and take out any trash that's been left behind.  We have a golf cart that we drive around and it's pretty fun.

There is another host in the park who is in charge of stocking and selling firewood as well as stocking the restrooms and showers.  We both rent out cabins to people who don't have reservations and just generally be helpful and answer questions.

We were told that our host assignment is the busiest of all the assignments and they are worried we will burn out so they are having us move to another campground, Hilgard Junction,  for July which doesn't have cabins.  It is right on the Grande Rondo river.  It's about 18 miles south east of here.  We were scheduled to go there in August but they are sending us for July and we may have a choice of going somewhere else for August or staying there.
Our job there will be sell firewood, stock the restrooms (no cleaning) and tidy up the campsites of any litter left behind.  We'll have a golf cart there too.

The weather has been just about perfect; high 70's during the day and low 50's at night.  We've only had the AC on once since we've been here.

I ended up making three trips to the dentist over the past two weeks.  I did get my broken filling replaced and it isn't causing me any problems.  The dentist said I will probably need a crown on it but as long as it isn't bothering me there's no rush.  I think he did a great job because I've had no pain at all and it isn't even sensitive to cold.  I also had my teeth cleaned and it was the most gentle cleaning I've ever had.  I may have to come back here every year for my dental check ups since I really like this office much better than my previous one at home.

On one of my trips to the dentist I picked up a new vent cover for the RV from the local RV dealer who happened to be across the street from the dental office.  They had a large display of LaFuma recliners so of course I had to try them out.  I had read on the RV Dreams blog that Howard and Linda had replaced their old La Fumas with new ones last year and about how comfortable they are.  I told John about them so we went into Pendelton on our day off last week to look at them and decided to get two.  Our old outdoor recliners were 8 years old and getting pretty worn out.  These new ones are wonderfully comfortable and should last us a long time.    We've been spending a lot of time outside in our new recliners, reading and napping most afternoons.

That's about all that's new here; I am loving retirement and RV living and have no regrets about deciding to become full-time RVers.

No comments:

Post a Comment